Saturday, March 8, 2014

Is this a Parakeet at my feeder?

I was sitting on the patio the other day with the dogs, watching the birds. When I noticed what appeared to be a possible blue bird in the feeder with the Buntings. My first thought was this looks like a blue Parakeet, like the ones we had as kids. I sent my husband  to get the bino's and camera. (this is one time the camera wasn't around my neck, waiting in anticipation for a new bird to show up). Now realizing this wasn't a Parakeet, I started snapping pics. While uploading them to the computer I got my Stokes field guide out and confirmed this was indeed A Indigo Bunting , male possible second to third year. Even though he wasn't the dark blue color, it was a great excitement for me. Another one towards the " Wings Over Florida."    Yea Lauren   
Buntings feeding















one more picture, then I am gone.

4 comments:

  1. Its great to see such colour on your feeders, we would never get such exotic colours on our feeders.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness is.. discovering a beautiful new bird at your feeder.
    I would love to have a Indigo Bunting visit me.. I'm green with envy but delighted that you were able to capture such a rare and beautiful visitor.

    I would love to know where you bought you bird feeder.I have looked for one like that for my small bird visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What an incredible find at your feeder! I would be so excited to see an Indigo Bunting! That's awesome that you were able to capture some photos as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely and refreshing series of photos.

    ReplyDelete

We want to thank all for commenting.